Ozone has been widely used in Europe and around the world for many years, and it is still catching on in the United States. Dr. Nathan Pfister
is proud to offer holistic dental care that includes the use of ozone therapies as needed for optimal results. This energized form of oxygen is made using precision equipment and offers our patients a safe, natural way to eliminate bacteria, fungus, and virus prior to restoring teeth.
There are several therapeutic benefits to ozone therapy
; each stemming from the powerful oxidative effect ozone has on bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses, and other pathogens. These microorganisms have few, if any, antioxidant enzymes, which make them an easy target for ozone's oxidative power. When bacteria and other disease-causing microbes are treated with ozone, they rupture and die almost immediately. Healthy cells, due to their antioxidant enzymes, remain unscathed by the introduction of ozone in gas, ozonated water, or oil form.
Ozone is also thought to have a balancing effect on the immune system, aiding healing by calming aggravated immune cells.
What our Patients Say
Extremely comprehensive, patient, and knowledgeable dentist. I've traveled across the country to many dentists to try figure out the best way to relieve some chronic symptoms and I found Dr. Pfister to have the best overall comprehensive testing and suggestions for my treatment. I traveled from Texas to see him and would recommend anyone with chronic health, dental, or jaw problems to make the trip to see him and let him run his tests and figure out a game plan for you to get you well. Very reasonable fees as well.
Originally Posted on
Read More Testimonials
Ozone can be incorporated into treatments for a number of oral health concerns, including:
- Tooth sensitivity. Teeth that have become worn or weak can feel sensitive to hot and cold. Ozone, which destroys the bacterial "poop" and disrupts bacterial niches, can help with sensitivity. Although the exact mechanism of ozone helping tooth sensitivity is not yet fully understood, patients routinely report lessened tooth sensitivity after treatment.
- Cavities. In gas form, ozone can be applied to an area of decay to destroy cavity-causing bacteria. Gas form ozone permeates the small, deep grooves in the back teeth as easily as it does the smooth surfaces. While ozone destroys pathogens on contact, it also has a rejuvenating effect on enamel, aiding in the recalcification process to strengthen the damaged tooth. If a cavity has formed, ozone treatment will be followed by repair with a mercury-free biocompatible filling.
- Gum disease. Gum disease is a problem that stems from oral bacteria and your immune response. As such, it can be treated safely and very effectively with ozone. This substance destroys bacteria that have invaded the gums and prompts healing by aiding in the oxygenation of connective tissues.
- Root canals. In the biological dental office, we do all that we can to avoid root canal therapy and are very concerned about the systemic impact one may be having on your health. Sterilizing the tubules branching off a tooth's root system is extremely challenging even considering the capabilities of ozone gas and cannot be guaranteed. If a patient was to decide that root canal therapy is their best option and necessary, we use ozonated water and gas to sterilize every part of the canal, including accessory canals to the fullest extent possible.
Ozone is a wonderful addition to many dental treatments. Natural, safe, and effective, energized oxygen achieves excellent results with no risk of allergic reaction or contraindication. We are very experienced in using ozone and know when to use it and how to maximize the benefits. Experience the benefits of holistic dental care in our Dothan, AL office. Call
(855) 939-5566 for your appointment today.